In today’s video blog post, we are talking about 1st Base Baseball Conditioning, and holding runners on base. We briefly discuss the importance of giving the pitcher a target, proper body position and being in fielding position when the pitch crosses the plate.
1st Base Baseball Conditioning: Holding Runners on Base
Holding Runners on Base Tips:
- You want to be sure to hold a man on first base effectively, and give your pitcher a nice target.
- Spread your feet parallel to the foul line to prepare for quick response.
- Move quickly into fielding position when the pitch is thrown. You don’t have a lot of time from when the pitcher lets go of the ball. You have to be in a set position ready to field your position.
- You must be able to adjust to any ball.
- You want to condition your players to move into position on command, with knees set and ready to make the play.
1st Base Training Tips -
A good 1st baseman must have:
- Good reflexes
- “Sure Hands”
- A quick, accurate and strong arm
- Quick feet
- Understands all game situations
- Ability to make the double play
For more 1st Base Baseball Conditioning tips and techniques, be sure to check out my “Baseball Drills & Practice Plans” series, complete with video demonstrations! And don’t forget to Become a Fan on Facebook, where you can discuss this and other 1st base baseball conditioning topics with other coaches and players!