Infielders learn to make throws to possible double play situations.
Infielders take their positions.
- Catcher rolls the ball out in front of home, fields it and throws to first.
- First baseman catches it to record the out.
- He then drops the ball out in front of him, fields it and throws to the shortstop at second.
- Shortstop executes a backdoor spin and throws to third.
- Third baseman catches the ball and makes a swipe tag.
- He then drops the ball out in front of him, fields it and throws to second.
- Second baseman catches the throw on the bag and throws to first.
- First baseman throws the ball back to the catcher.
- Throws should be crisp and on target. Fielders should always use good throwing fundamentals – step toward target, bring glove to chest, flick wrist and follow through.
- Fielders should move quickly with purpose – nothing lackadaisical in this drill.