A fun, competitive game that improves bunting accuracy and consistency.
- Using cones or chalk, mark off an area similar to the diagram below.
- Split your players into teams of 3-5 kids.
- If you have access to a pitching machine, set it up at the pitchers mound.Â If not, a coach will pitch from 30-40 feet away.
- The first team is at the plate with helmets and bats.
- The other teams are in the infield to shag balls.
How it Works
- This drill is a bunting accuracy contest between the groups of player.
- Each batter gets 3-5 pitches from the pitching machine or coach.
- Every successful bunt into the scoring zone earns their team one point.
- Rotate through the teams until every player has had a chance.
- The team with the most points wins a prize.
- Adjust the boundaries of the scoring zone so it’s appropriate for the size of your field and your team’s competitive level.
- You can also do this drill in a Knockout format.Â Each player gets one pitch.Â If they successfully bunt into the scoring zone, they’re still alive.Â If not, they are eliminated.Â Continue until only one player is left.
- Make it harder: Add a scoring zone for push bunts between the infield positions.
- Make it easier: Make the scoring zones larger and easier to bunt into.