To get players reps working on fundamental infielder skills
- Players line up at 1st, 2nd, shortstop, and 3rd base.
- You’ll also need a catcher at home.
- Coaches will line up in the batters box and just off the 3rd base foul line.
How it Works
- Coach at home plate hits a grounder to either shortstop or 2nd baseman.
- Player corrals ball.
- At same time, coach on foul line rolls a grounder to 3rd baseman who will also corral the ball.
- Whichever of the 2nd baseman and short stop didn’t step out to field the ball will cover 2nd and receive a throw from his teammate.
- The 3rd baseman will make the throw to 1st base, and 2nd base will make the throw to home.
- For safety, have the middle infielders (2nd base and shortstop) take a couple steps further back than they would normally, just to make sure they are well out of the way of any throws coming across the infield.
- About halfway through the drill, have the 3rd base coach head over to the 1st base foul line, and have the 1st basemen get reps making a play on the grounder and throwing to 3rd.