Works on getting off the mound, fielding the ball and throwing to first.
- Place three baseballs along first baseline and three along third baseline.
- Pitcher stands on the mound.
How it Works
- Pitcher simulates a pitch. Coach yells “first” or “third.”
- Pitcher breaks off mound runs to the appropriate baseline, picks up the baseball and throws it to first.
- First base technique – pitcher should step back from the line before throwing so he doesn’t hit the runner in the back. Here left-hand pitchers should circle around the ball so they are in better position to square up and throw.
- Third base technique – pitcher should turn and point shoulders and feet toward first before before throwing to ensure an accurate throw.
- This drill allows pitchers to determine whether to pick up the ball with one hand or two hands.
- Stress to players to use one hand as last option. They should always field the ball with two hands if there is time.
- When picking up the ball, plant hard with throwing site foot. The player should also push the ball into the ground to get a good grip on it.
- Pitcher should always call for the ball –”mine, mine, mine.”