This fielding drill is designed to teach players how to judge pop-ups and the proper way of letting every one know that you are going to “call” it. It teaches players to judge pop-ups, take control of a fly ball, as well as avoid collisions with other fielders.
- Have the whole team gather around the coach in a loose group – stretching their arms out so that they are at least arms length away from all the other players.
- Randomly throw the ball up in the air.
- Players then have to decide if it is one that they can catch and then “call for it”.
- The first player to 10 points get to sit down.
- This continues with the coach alternating where the ball is thrown, until everyone has reached 10 points.
- The player who finishes last has to run the bases while the rest of the team cheers loudly for him, and some times even chase him around the bases.
- Players are awarded points for “calling” for the ball loudly, making the catch or stepping back to allow someone else who has called the ball to make the catch.
- Kids love this-especially the ritual of chasing the last one around the bases!