To practice recovering the ball in front of the body after an error or bad bounce.
- Divide team into pairs, players line up across from each other forming two lines about 40 ft apart. For safety, each player should be about 5 feet from player next to them. All players have gloves, one player in each pair should have a ball
How it Works
- On the coach’s whistle, the player with the ball gets into a good fielding position & rolls the ball out in front of them.
- The same player, then goes to the SIDE of the ball, scoops it up and throws it to their partner.
- The partner catches the baseball and immediately transfers the ball to get into a good throwing position.
- On the coaches next whistle, new player with the ball gets into their fielding position and rolls the ball out in front.
- Instead of rolling the ball out, place the it on the ground 5 feet in front of the fielder. He then scoops it up barehand and gets into throwing position
- Make it harder: Fielder stands with his back to the coach. Coach rolls a tough ground ball at the fielder. If he does not make the initial play, he has to recover, gather the ball and make the throw.
- Make it easier: Instead of rolling the ball out, place it on the ground 5 feet in front of the fielder. He then scoops it up barehand and gets into throwing position.