Pitchers practice keeping their chin parallel to the ground when throwing.
- Pitchers line up anywhere on the field. They each have a ball and a glove.
1. Pitcher stands normally.
2. He holds the ball in his glove along the midline of his body.
3. He brings the glove and ball up together and then drops them and separates his hands – bringing the ball back and the glove arm forward.
4. As the pitching arm moves forward, he “barrels” his chest and squares it to home plate.
5. In this drill, he focuses on keeping his chin parallel to the ground all the way through follow-through.
6. He repeats this process until coach says, “Stop.”
- The pitcher focuses on keeping his chin up and parallel to the ground.
- Keeping the chin up can help improve balance throughout the motion and especially upon landing on the front foot.