Set three cones out that if connected with a line, it would form the letter Z. You should vary the distance between and distance from start based on age of your players.
- We have each player run towards each cone looking for the ball, not knowing if it will be a ground or fly ball.
- We vary where we place the ball (high, low, front or back, etc.) to ensure they are tracking the ball and reacting accordingly.
- Once caught, or retrieved, they have to have square up, get a good base and make a good throw back to the coach.
- Once caught and thrown, they must quickly change direction and work towards the next cone.
- We start working towards the closest cone and typically end with a big fly ball at cone #3.
Improve footwork / lateral movement.
Improve reaction and tracking.
Improve agility with quick starts and stops.
Improve the transition from running, fielding and throwing.
Improve throwing in game like conditions – find, field and throw.