We use one drill to work on 3 skills: baserunning, sliding and throwing. Best part of all–the team loves it. 🙂
Three in One Drill
- Wet a spot in outfield so it is easy for sliding.
- Put down a temporary base.
- Every player Keeps their glove on.
- 1 player is at base and rest of team is in line to slide.
- Coach throws to base as runner approaches to slide.
- Base player tries to catch and tag the runner.
- The runner gets up and runs for an over the shoulder catch that another coach throws.
- Then they get back in line.
- Swap tagging player every couple of minutes.
We usually only run about 30 feet to base and we can go through the whole team many times in a matter of minutes.
If you do have younger players who are afraid of sliding try this first. We do sliding drills using a large tarp and keep it wet so it acts like a slip and slide. The younger kids aren’t as afraid of the getting hurt and the older kids love to demonstrate.