In this scrimmage variation, using the tee speeds up the pace of the game and gives your team more repetitions in a shorter time. Hitters can work on their swing mechanics, while fielders can practice fielding ground balls and throwing out runners.
- Divide your team into two groups of six.
- Team 1 fills out the six infield positions.
- Team 2 is at bat, using the tee instead of a pitched ball.
How it Works
- The batting team is allowed six outs. Then offense and defense switch sides.
- The batter must hit a ground ball off the tee.
- The ball must make initial contact with the ground inside the infield.
- The infield area is the only part of the field that is in play. The outfield is out of play
- Any fly ball or line drive is an automatic out, regardless of where it lands
- Any ground ball that goes through the infield and into the outfield is a base hit. The batter takes first base with a single. All baserunners advance one base.
- Every defensive out adds 1 point to your team score.
- Every defensive error subtracts 1 point from your team score.
- Every offensive run scored adds one 1 point to your team scor.
- Use a high to low swing to produce a ground ball.
- When fielding ground balls, move into position to field the ball in front of your body. Watch the ball into the glove, then smoothly transition into the throwing motion.