In this pitcher fielding drill, we focus on “comebackers” to the pitcher, both to the left and right.
This drill will helps your pitchers determine who is going to cover the bag when returning a double play. It also focuses on developing the proper footwork for turning a double play.
- If the ball goes directly/straight back to the pitcher in the dirt, the shortstop is going to cover the bag.
- If the ball is hit to the pitcher’s left, the second baseman is going to back up the pitcher and the shortstop is going to cover the bag.
- If the ball is hit to the pitcher’s right, the shortstop is going to back up the pitcher and the second baseman will cover the bag.
Pitcher Fielding Tips
– Develop a communications system with your infielders
– Field the ball with two hands before throwing to second
– Focus on setting yourself up to make the quickest possible turn to second base
– For older, more experienced players, turning the body to the side to field the ball will allow for a an easier transition and quicker throw
– Younger players should field shoulders straight on, then turn to throw so that they don’t take a chance of opening up to quick