During the above video, we’re going to talk about holding runners on base and demonstrate a great infield baseball drill.
In order to make sure you hold the man on first base effectively, follow these tips:
- Give your pitcher a target
- Spread your feet, parallel to the foul line
- Be in the fielding position once the pitch crosses the plate
Move quickly into the fielding position once the pitch crosses the plate, as you don’t have a lot of time. And remind your players that they must be able to adjust to any thrown pitch.
It’s also important that they’re able to move into position on command, so this is something worth practicing with your players.
Remind your first basemen that in order to be successful, they must have the following:
- Good reflexes
- “Sure hands”
- A quick, accurate, and strong arm
- Quick feet
- An understanding of all game situations
- The ability to make the double play
If you enjoyed this video and learning about infield baseball drills, don’t forget to check out my YouTube channel for even more baseball coaching videos!