Pitcher works on covering first base when ball is hit to right of first baseman
- Pitcher stands on the mound.
- Coach is in the first base area of the field.
How it Works
- Pitcher simulates a pitch to home.
- He then turns and runs straight for the first cut in the infield grass.
- At that cut, he turns and runs parallel with the baseline to the first base bag.
- Coach tosses the ball to the pitcher at the bag.
- Pitcher touches the bag with his foot for the out.
- Variation 1 – coach bobbles ball. Pitcher sets up like first baseman at the bag to receive the throw.
- Do 5-10 repetitions.
- Upon reaching the first cut and turning parallel to the base path, pitcher should take short, choppy steps to the bag.
- Push off toward the infield after touching the bag and then determine what is going on with the rest of the game.
- Tell the pitchers: “Play the game, don’t get caught watching the game!”
- Pitcher should keep hands up to give the thrower a target.
- Tag the inside third of the bag.
- Keep out of the path of the runner – don’t drift into the baseline.