To practice catching balls while on the run.
- Players form a single file line with their gloves on as shown.
- Coach has a bucket of baseballs and stands beside the first player in line.
How it Works
- On the coaches command, the first player in line runs away from the coach but keeps the coach in sight by looking over the shoulder.
- After the player has begun running, coach throws the ball in the same way a quarterback would â€œleadâ€ a receiver. The ball should be thrown fairly high so that players have time to judge itâ€™s path.
- Player is to track the trajectory of the ball and not break stride to catch it.
- After catching the ball, player runs to return ball to coaches bucket, then takes place at end of the line.
- Keep this drill fast paced. As soon as one player catches the ball, the next player in line should begin to run.
- Watch that players use correct form when running sideways, they should point their lead shoulder where they think the ball will land.
- Players should never take their eyes off the ball.
- Make it easier: Keep the fly balls on the near side of the player, so he can track it out of the coachâ€™s hand and into his glove.
- Make it harder: Make some throw over the playerâ€™s head and to the far side, forcing him to turn and find the ball in the air.