How to execute a run down so even the fastest baserunner can’t escape
- Inﬁelders set up at second and third base.
- Runner is in between them.
How it Works
- Coach says “go.”
- Player at second runs toward runner with ball in his throwing hand.
- Fielder at third runs toward runner and calls “ball” when he has good momentum toward the runner and feels it is time to make the throw.
- Fielder from third catches the ball and tags the runner.
- Whoever has the ball should be running full speed at the runner – don’t let the runner dictate the speed.
- Fielder with ball should hold it in bare hand not glove.
- Receiver calls for ball when he has good momentum going forward and feels it is time to make the throw. No fake throws or jukes.
- Fielders should run full speed and make the runner go full speed so it is difﬁcult for him to stop and change direction.