Helps fielders learn to thrown with speed and accuracy, while training baserunners to sprint hard and round the bases with proper technique.
- Split your players into three teams.
- One team lines up at home plate, the other two fill the defensive positions. Coach stands beside home with a bat and balls.
How it Works
- The first player on the baserunning team steps up to the plate with a helmet.
- Coach hits a ground ball to an infielder, while the baserunner begins sprinting around the bases.
- The infielder plays the ground ball and throws to first.
- The infielding team then throws the ball around the horn, from first to second to third to home, while the baserunner continues to sprint around the bases.
- If the ball reaches home before the baserunner, the fielding team gets a point. If the baserunner reaches home first, the baserunning team gets a point.
- For younger teams, the ball should arrive at home at roughly the same time as a fast runner.
- Extra players can act as outfielders and back up the appropriate bases
- Make it easier: Roll the ball to the infielders instead of hitting ground balls.
- Make it harder: Have the infielders throw the ball back to first before throwing it to the next base (i.e.. First -> second -> first -> second -> third -> first -> second -> third -> home).