A live baserunning drill that will also work on situational defense.
- Split your players into three teams.
- One team lines up at home plate, the other two fill the defensive positions.
- Place base coaches at first and third base. And another coach hitting ground balls from the third base line.
How it Works
- The first player on the baserunning team begins at third base. The second player begins at first base.
- Both baserunners take a short lead.
- The coach will put the ball into play by hitting a ball into the outfield.
- If the ball is hit on the ground, both baserunners try to advance.
- If it is hit in the air, the runner on third will try to tag up and score.
- The baserunners try to score runs while the fielders try to make outs.
- After all players on one team have rotated through first and third, switch the teams up.
- Keep track of runs scored and crown a winner at the end.
- The third base coach will tell the baserunners whether to advance, go back or tag up.
- Make sure your fielders are communicating about fielding balls in the outfield and throwing to the cutoff.
- Make it harder: Instead of the coach hitting balls, have players bat against live pitching or a pitching machine.
- Make it easier: Add a base coach at second to provide extra guidance.