A fun, competitive drill that gets players warmed up and teaches them how to make proper turns at the bases
- Split the players into two teams.
- Place one team at home plate with and one team at second base.
How it Works
- Give a baseball to the first player in each line. This will be their “baton” they will pass to each member of the relay team.
- On the coach’s signal the first player for each team takes off.
- The player at home runs from home to first, and circles the bases until he completes a circuit back to home plate.
- The player starting from second runs from second to third, and circles the bases until he completes a circuit back to second base.
- After a completed circuit the player passes the ball to the next player in line, who continues the relay race.
- The first team to have all players complete the circuit and sit down wins
- Make sure to keep the waiting players well out off the basepaths to avoid collisions
- To maximize speed, the baserunner should try to strike the inside edge of the base with his right foot
- If your players know how, you can have the last player slide into the final base to complete the race
- Make it harder: Baserunner must bent-leg slide to finish the 4-base circuit
- Make it easier: Add cones or coaches at each base to show baserunners the proper path to take around the bases