Teaches basic sliding technique under defensive pressure
- You can run this drill in the infield, or just set up two bases in the outfield.
- Players line up at first base. One coach stands at second base.
- Another coach stands near the pitcher’s mound with a ball.
How it Works
- The first baserunner stands on first base.
- On the coach’s signal, he takes a short lead, then breaks for second.
- The coach throws to second as the baserunner begins his slide.
- The second coach catches the ball and tries to make the tag as the baserunner slides underneath.
- Repeat with the next player in line.
- Make it harder: Practice more advanced sliding techniques, including full speed headfirst slides, pop-up slides and hook slides
- Make it easier: Lay out a flattened cardboard box in front of the base. This will reduce friction and allow players to slide more easily.