This drill helps baserunners learn to advance on wild pitches.
- A coach is on the mound playing pitcher, with a catcher in full gear behind the plate.
- Set up a line of baserunners at each base.
How it Works
- The first baserunner in each line starts on the bag.
- The baserunner takes a 6-8 foot lead and the coach goes into his pitching windup.
- The coach will throw a ball in the dirt, or a wild pitch that sails over the catcher’s head.
- The baserunners read the play and try to advance to the next base.
- Baserunners should take an aggressive extended lead after the pitcher releases the ball.
- Baserunners can watch how the ball bounces off the backstop and react.
- Use a fundamentally sound bent-leg slide into the next base.
- Make it harder: Add infielders and have the catcher try to throw the baserunners out.
- Make it easier: Add base coaches at each base to give cues to the baserunners.